The past two releases have focused on improving your ability to quickly find and download the content you want to play. With this release, the Vuze team concentrated on improving the ways you play your content – on your PC and Mac, on the other screens in your life (now including the iPad and Connected TVs), and simply by burning a DVD.
More specifically, Vuze 4.4 includes a significant upgrade to both the Vuze HD Player and Device Playback. In addition, we spent some time building three of your most requested features – DVD burning, built-in antivirus protection, and better search – as part of a new offering called Vuze Plus. Intrigued? Read on.
With today’s release, the Vuze HD Player received a significant update, including:
• Higher quality playback: Smoother playback for HD content (including 1080p)
• More formats: Improved format support (including avi, wmv, mpeg, xvid, Quicktime, and more)
• Subtitles: A very cool integration with OpenSubtitles enabling you to pull in subtitles for any content and language the OpenSubtitle community has translated
• Faster and Lighter: Significantly faster launch and lighter weight playback.
Props to both the MPlayer and OpenSubtitle.org teams for enabling us to stand on the shoulders of the giant that is open source!
Speaking of improved playback, we’ve also updated Vuze Device Playback to significantly improve the quality and speed of device transfers.
Since Vuze launched device support, more than 3 million of you have used Vuze Devices to transfer and playback more than 70 million items on your iPhone, iPod, Xbox, PS3, PSP, and Tivo. You seem to like the ability to drag-and-drop to play back on the device of your choice…
Aside from your rave reviews, we’ve also been listening to your requests to improve device transfer speeds and decrease the failure rates when files don’t successfully transfer to the device of your choice. This release updates the core infrastructure for Vuze Devices to significantly improve device transfer performance — both speed and success rates.
And one more thing on the device playback front… Vuze now supports transfer and playback on iPad and Connected TVs (with DLNA support).
Introducing Vuze Plus
Beyond improving Vuze’s core features enabling you to find, download, and play, we’ve also heard your requests for a variety of new features. Today, we’re launching a premium version called Vuze Plus that includes DVD Burn, Built-in Antivirus, and Power Search.
Finally, we have an answer for all your questions about how to burn DVDs from Vuze. We’re not talking about crude data DVDs for storage and transport. We’re talking about easily burning playable DVDs for playback on any standard DVD player. Simply drag-and-drop videos from your Vuze Library or anywhere on your desktop, organize your playlist, and click burn.
Downloading from the web can be intimidating. We’ve heard your worries about malware, viruses, and scams. To address your concerns, we’ve teamed with BitDefender to deliver a fully built-in antivirus solution that scans all the files you download with Vuze Plus to proactively protect you before problems occur.
Finally, we consistently hear that you want additional sites added to Vuze Meta Search. Power Search includes twice as many search sites to offer more comprehensive results so you quickly find what you’re looking for.
The new Vuze HD Player and Device Playback features are immediately available in Vuze 4.4 (our flagship app that’s free as always). For those of you that want a little extra spice, DVD Burning, Built-in Antivirus, and Power Search will be offered as Vuze Plus for $24.99. Offering Vuze Plus will enable us to build some of the extra features many of you have been requesting, without adding bloat to the main Vuze app you know and love. In addition, charging a nominal fee for Vuze Plus will enable us to work with leading partners like BitDefender to offer some of the cool features you’ve been requesting.
Let us know what you think!
- 5001 B12 June 13, 2013The ‘new’ (or ‘unopened’) indicator should now get cleared when you launch downloads - previously this was only working for the ‘play’ action - a bug introduced in 188.8.131.52 Reduced console spew some users getting on OSX during media server playback Added a per-file availability column to the Files view as requested by this idea on vote.vuze.com : Added the ab […]
- 5001 B11 June 12, 2013Fixed issue with the Dasu plugin causing config-backup to fail by locking a plugin file Reworked Tools->Options->Interface->Display to group options; added a Side Bar config group to allow show/hide option setting and also the inter-header top-level spacing to allow compaction. In the future further controls could be added here to control visibility […]
- 5001 B10 June 8, 2013Fix for icon transparency issues on Windows 8 Move search results to top of Content Discovery area […]