Countless torrent files spanning an ever-growing spectrum of content make it increasingly difficult for people using other bittorrent apps to cut through the noise find new content that they’ll enjoy and be informed by. Enter Vuze™ 4.8 and Swarm Discoveries, a first for any bittorrent client. Using an automated process to look at the relationships between torrents in your library and those of other users, Swarm Discoveries makes recommendations on other content that you might enjoy and be informed by. It works by looking at the relationship between torrents in the DHT and automatically applies statistical analysis to provide content recommendations. Subsequently, Vuze also now has Swarm Search™, which supplies results based on the various data sets created by Swarm Discoveries. A full explanation can be found on our wiki page, Swarm Discoveries.
- Automatic detection and full support for 64-bit operating systems (from idea Run in 64 Bit Mode)
- Prevent computer sleep has been extended to OSX and now encompasses both preventing sleep while streaming (from idea Disable Sleep Mode when Streaming Media to Devices) and video transcoding
- Prioritization and auto-open for descriptive files in torrents such as .nfo, .txt and .rar files (from idea Auto nfo Reader)
- Manipulation of tracker lists in a textual format instead of via the GUI widget (from this idea)
We hope you enjoy all the new features, and please let us know what you think or if you run into any issues: http://forum.vuze.com
Vuze stresses that it respects the rights of copyright holders, and hopes and expects that you do too. Any use of Vuze® or Vuze+™ that violates an intellectual property right or any right of a third party is not allowed. Please do not infringe upon copyright. Content available through Vuze® or Vuze+™ may or may not comply with laws, including copyright laws, in your territory or country, and Vuze is not responsible for content you may download or upload. Read more here.
* You agree that you have no ownership interest in any ideas (or inventions), Vuze can use them freely without otherwise compensating you or requiring other formal assignments or licenses from you, and that the ideas do not infringe upon or suggest the infringement upon the rights or interests of any other person or entity.
First off, thank you to all the users who submitted ideas to and cast votes on Vote for Vuze!, our feature request forum. We’ve received tons of great ideas, and we’ve been listening! Today, not even a month later, we released an update that includes features that we pulled straight from Vote for Vuze! Here are some of the highlighted features, voted on by users, which went live today:
Improved UI and Functionality for Creating Torrents
This idea (Ability to create a torrent with multi-directory or/and multi-files contents located in various paths on various disk drives) received the most support from our user base, so how could we not implement it?! With this update you get more drag and drop goodness and improvements to the torrent creation flow. Now you can simply drag files located in various directories and/or on different drives and drop them in Vuze. From there, we’ll take care of the rest and create a torrent with all the files you picked.
More Search Templates by Default
Voted on second most, users requested more search templates to be added to Vuze by default. We’ve included 3 new templates by default. The Internet Archive, which recently made 1,000,000+ movies, books, music, and other media available to the public. ClearBits, which contains open licensed digital media. Legit Torrents, which dedicates itself to legit content.
Prevent Computer from Going to Sleep
This has been on “the list” for a while, and user feedback on Vote for Vuze! affirmed that it should have been. For Windows users there’s now no need to worry about a torrent download not finishing because your computer goes to sleep. Simply set Vuze to prevent your computer from going to sleep while downloading torrents or seeding.
Requested Interface Changes
Quite a few interface requests came in through Vote for Vuze! Here’s what we implemented:
Displaying Torrent Download ETA in Absolute Time
Thanks to the eta in absolute form idea, download ETAs can be displayed as the time of day the download should finish vs. how much time is left before the torrent download finishes.
Add File Type as a Column in Library View
From idea Display or give the option to display the file name/extention. Pretty straightforward and now live.
Status icon/indicator for Vuze Remote connections
DNS Tracker Changes
This wasn’t a user generated request, but Vuze is the first bittorrent client to support the requested bittorrent protocol DNS Tracker Changes in a current release. With this update we’re helping to eliminate unwanted network traffic directed at trackers due to invalid announce URLs configured in torrents.
Other Implemented User Ideas
There were also other Vote for Vuze! generated features that went live today. Here’s a list of the other changes that weren’t highlighted above:
- Controls to turn the tracker HTTP(S) protocol on and off. This existed for UDP previously. Both off now results in DHT only. (from idea block all trackers as part of the vuse program its self in both the free version and the plus version, in order to protect privacy)
- Option added to randomize incoming TCP/UDP ports at launch (from idea Option to randomize incoming tcp/udp port from specified range on each restart)
- View a torrent file’s CRC and MD5 hash values (from idea Display CRC of each file)
- Use F2 to rename display name of a torrent or files within a torrent (from idea Use F2 to “Rename Displayed Name” of a torrent)
- Added new Pause and Resume keyboard shortcuts (from idea ALT+P to pause transfers, ALT+R to resume transfers and ‘Pause’ (cmd-dot in MacOS) only works ONCE per session. Much Better: TOGGLE Pause/Resume by cmd-dot.)
- Ability to configure the applications used to handle ‘launch’ commands for specific file extensions
- Asynchronous ‘move on complete’ functionality
Thanks again for all of the feedback and ideas! Please keep them rolling in!
- Rewrite of Library view that has improved performance, stability, and extensibility
- Better support for Magnet downloads; now pulling metadata from peers in the swarm, rather than just the DHT.
- Improved download/upload prioritization
- Automatic back-up support for your Vuze configuration
- Multiple performance enhancements, UI tweaks, and bug fixes
- 5001 B07 May 22, 2013Added ‘move to folder on complete’ option to manual tags: […]
- 5001 B06 May 21, 2013Added upload-priority option for Tags Added auto-xcode for Tags Added auto-tagging for subscriptions […]
- 5001 B05 May 17, 2013Increased maximum BT message size to handle torrents with huge numbers of pieces Added start/stop/pause/resume controls to tags Switched to check-boxes in Tags Overview […]