First off, thank you to all the users who submitted ideas to and cast votes on Vote for Vuze!, our feature request forum. We’ve received tons of great ideas, and we’ve been listening! Today, not even a month later, we released an update that includes features that we pulled straight from Vote for Vuze! Here are some of the highlighted features, voted on by users, which went live today:
Improved UI and Functionality for Creating Torrents
This idea (Ability to create a torrent with multi-directory or/and multi-files contents located in various paths on various disk drives) received the most support from our user base, so how could we not implement it?! With this update you get more drag and drop goodness and improvements to the torrent creation flow. Now you can simply drag files located in various directories and/or on different drives and drop them in Vuze. From there, we’ll take care of the rest and create a torrent with all the files you picked.
More Search Templates by Default
Voted on second most, users requested more search templates to be added to Vuze by default. We’ve included 3 new templates by default. The Internet Archive, which recently made 1,000,000+ movies, books, music, and other media available to the public. ClearBits, which contains open licensed digital media. Legit Torrents, which dedicates itself to legit content.
Prevent Computer from Going to Sleep
This has been on “the list” for a while, and user feedback on Vote for Vuze! affirmed that it should have been. For Windows users there’s now no need to worry about a torrent download not finishing because your computer goes to sleep. Simply set Vuze to prevent your computer from going to sleep while downloading torrents or seeding.
Requested Interface Changes
Quite a few interface requests came in through Vote for Vuze! Here’s what we implemented:
Displaying Torrent Download ETA in Absolute Time
Thanks to the eta in absolute form idea, download ETAs can be displayed as the time of day the download should finish vs. how much time is left before the torrent download finishes.
Add File Type as a Column in Library View
From idea Display or give the option to display the file name/extention. Pretty straightforward and now live.
Status icon/indicator for Vuze Remote connections
DNS Tracker Changes
This wasn’t a user generated request, but Vuze is the first bittorrent client to support the requested bittorrent protocol DNS Tracker Changes in a current release. With this update we’re helping to eliminate unwanted network traffic directed at trackers due to invalid announce URLs configured in torrents.
Other Implemented User Ideas
There were also other Vote for Vuze! generated features that went live today. Here’s a list of the other changes that weren’t highlighted above:
- Controls to turn the tracker HTTP(S) protocol on and off. This existed for UDP previously. Both off now results in DHT only. (from idea block all trackers as part of the vuse program its self in both the free version and the plus version, in order to protect privacy)
- Option added to randomize incoming TCP/UDP ports at launch (from idea Option to randomize incoming tcp/udp port from specified range on each restart)
- View a torrent file’s CRC and MD5 hash values (from idea Display CRC of each file)
- Use F2 to rename display name of a torrent or files within a torrent (from idea Use F2 to “Rename Displayed Name” of a torrent)
- Added new Pause and Resume keyboard shortcuts (from idea ALT+P to pause transfers, ALT+R to resume transfers and ‘Pause’ (cmd-dot in MacOS) only works ONCE per session. Much Better: TOGGLE Pause/Resume by cmd-dot.)
- Ability to configure the applications used to handle ‘launch’ commands for specific file extensions
- Asynchronous ‘move on complete’ functionality
Thanks again for all of the feedback and ideas! Please keep them rolling in!
- 5001 B12 June 13, 2013The ‘new’ (or ‘unopened’) indicator should now get cleared when you launch downloads - previously this was only working for the ‘play’ action - a bug introduced in 22.214.171.124 Reduced console spew some users getting on OSX during media server playback Added a per-file availability column to the Files view as requested by this idea on vote.vuze.com : Added the ab […]
- 5001 B11 June 12, 2013Fixed issue with the Dasu plugin causing config-backup to fail by locking a plugin file Reworked Tools->Options->Interface->Display to group options; added a Side Bar config group to allow show/hide option setting and also the inter-header top-level spacing to allow compaction. In the future further controls could be added here to control visibility […]
- 5001 B10 June 8, 2013Fix for icon transparency issues on Windows 8 Move search results to top of Content Discovery area […]